Software Development Program
Software Development Program:
The objective of the Software Development program is to educate students on the basics of programming languages. Students learn the various data types of the language and formulate an optimal and efficient logic to arrive at the output. The program introduces the concept of data structures and helps them learn the various algorithms related to those structures. Students also learn advanced features of SQL programming and an understanding of major Linux commands.
The program is 1140 hours (57 weeks) with an optional co-op work experience of 480 hours.
- Introduction to Technology - 20 hours
- Computer Hardware Components - 100 hours
- Computer Software Components - 100 hours
- Programming Fundamentals Using Java - 100 hours
- Object Oriented Programming - 100 hours
- Data Structures and Algorithms- 100 hours
- Database Software - 100 hours
- Linux Operating Systems - 100 hours
- Programming Principles in Python - 100 hours
- Game Development - 100 hours
- Mobile Development - 100 hours
- Introduction to Project Management - 100 hours
- Career and Employment Skills - 20 hours
Total - 1,140 hours
Note: This program is currently under review by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB). We are currently accepting enquiries for this program but not applications at this time. Program start dates and application information will be available in the near future.
|Fees apply to all locations at which the program is offered.|
Upon completion of this program successful students will have learnt to:
- Explain the hardware and software components of a computer.
- Explain elementary data types and arrays in a programming language like Java.
- Explain basic control structures like sequential, conditional, and iterative.
- Understand advanced object-oriented programming concepts and practices.
- Evaluate performance, efficiency, and satisfaction of implementation to the needs.
- Select and design data structures & algorithms appropriate for software problems.
- Analyze the relational model & relational languages in database systems.
- The main techniques for database analysis, design, and application.
- Understand the major Linux commands.
- Understand how to create and apply Shell Scripts.
- Create, debug and test simple programs using fundamental programming constructs, principles, and tools using Python.
Students must provide proof of one of the following English Language Proficiency requirements:
- For domestic students, a minimum Grade 10 English, or
- For English as a second language students, English proficiency ability (one of the following):
- IELTS 6.0, or
- Cambridge English Scale: score of 150 or higher, or
- Cambridge English: Advanced score of Grade C, or
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage score of Grade C, or
- CELPIP: Score of 7 in each module
- TOEFL score of at least 78, or
- TOEIC score of at least 605, or
- PTE score of at least 50, or
- Duolingo English Test score of 95 or higher.
- Students must also provide confirmation of mature student status (19 years or older on the first day of classes) or if under 19, evidence of Grade 12 completion or equivalent.
This program will prepare students for a career as:
- Application Programmer
- Computer Programmer
- Software Developer
- Cloud Developer
Note: This program is currently under review by the Private Training Institutions Board (PTIB). We are currently accepting enquiries for this program but not applications at this time. Program start dates and application information will be available in the near future.