Medical Office Assistant Program
Medical Office Assistant Program:
Gain the knowledge and skills as a Medical Office Assistant to manage patient records, medical billing, and scheduling. Learn how to perform duties in hospitals, urgent care, medical offices, and specialist offices. Such as physiotherapy, chiropractic, optometrist, and naturopathic clinics.
28 weeks total, including:
- 26 weeks of instructor-led training
- 2 weeks of practicum placement
Note: This program is currently under review by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB). We are currently accepting enquiries for this program but not applications at this time. Program start dates and application information will be available in the near future.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply and understand commonly used healthcare terminology.
- Utilize current computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Internet and Email.
- Transcribe medical letters and reports.
- Follow office protocol relating to professionalism, confidentiality, communication, and dispute resolution.
- Practice empathic listening and customer service skills when communicating with patients or clients.
- Handle difficult clients.
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail (postal and electronic).
- Understand and utilize office procedures for scheduling appointments, maintaining appointment records, receiving office calls.
- Understand and utilize procedures for answering, transferring, and screening office calls.
- Understand and utilize billing procedures for various office environments.
- Understand Release of Information Regulations.
Students must provide a high school diploma or meet the age of 18 or above, and provide proof of one of the following English Proficiency requirements:
- For domestic students, a minimum grade 10 English, or
- For English as a second language students, English proficiency ability (one of the following):
- IELTS 6.0 (with no band test score less than 5.5), OR
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index (CELPIP) 6.0, OR
- Cambridge English Scale: score of 150 or higher OR
- Cambridge English: Advanced score of grade C, OR
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage score of grade C, OR
- TOEFL score of at least 45
- TOEIC score of at least 605
- Duolingo English Test Score of 80 or higher
Students must also provide confirmation of mature student status (19 years or older on first day of classes) or if under 19, evidence of Grade 12 completion or equivalent.
This program will prepare students to work in private and public medical clinics, hospitals, and allied health practitioner clinics as a Medical Office Assistant.
Note: This program is currently under review by the Private Training Institutions Board (PTIB). We are currently accepting enquiries for this program but not applications at this time. Program start dates and application information will be available in the near future.