Introduction to Chinese Herbology is a rich and informative 15-hour course (completed in 15 weeks/4 months) in basic Chinese herbology and will be suitable for anyone 16 years of age or older with Grade 11 education. Individuals 18 years of age and older may apply as a Mature Student.
The course content for this online course relates directly to the course delivered on campus and has been converted to an online platform that students will find extremely user friendly.
Meet our instructor
Joanne Van Allen Sinclaire, R.TCMP, BGS, Academic Dean, Instructor.
Joanne began her studies at the school when it was formerly known as ACOS during its second year of operation and has been a main instructor for over thirteen years in the Acupuncture, TCM, and clinical departments. Since 2014 she has acted as the Academic Dean. She has a Bachelor of General Studies from Thompson Rivers University and has over thirteen years of clinical experiences as a Registered Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner (RTCMP). She has a background in Bio-Dynamic and medicinal herb farming and helped to create the Kootenay’s first Community Supported Agriculture Program (CSA). This experience, along with her love of herbs and gardening, has led to the creation of KCCIHS’s first online herb course. Currently, she is in the process of creating several more courses which integrate knowledge of Chinese and Western Herbs.
What your course fee includes:
Your course fee of $365.00 CAD will include a herb sample kit (of 15 herbs), a textbook and course handout which will be mailed to you once you are enrolled.
Who would be interested in taking this course?
- Those who have an interest in traditional Chinese medicine
- Anyone who has an interest in herbology or natural health
- Patients of Chinese medicine practitioners
- Prospective students who plan to enroll at KCCIHS
- Health care professionals
- Health conscious individuals
- High School and College students
- Medical Students
What will it be like taking the course, how many hours of study?
You are expected to complete at least one lesson per week for 15 weeks. Deadlines for assignments, quizzes and projects are provided at the beginning of the course.
We estimate 1-2 hours of study time to complete each lesson including assignments and quizzes. Your marks will be made available to you either online or via email.
There will be weekly forums and your instructor is always available via email and will set office hours for responding to questions.
Online Learning – Is it for you?
Online learning is unlike the traditional classroom setting. With the freedom and flexibility of the online environment comes responsibility. The online process takes a real commitment and discipline to keep up with the flow of the process.
Courses begin September 15th, January 15th and May 15th. Application Deadline is two weeks before the beginning of the months of which the course commences.
- Complete Application Form, print off and mail together with a non-refundable application fee of $50.00 in cheque or money order payable to KCCIHS (email transfer and credit card payments possible, please call us, if you choose one of these payment methods).
- If you are a Mature Student (18 years of age or more) you are not required to submit transcripts, but must supply a photocopy of government issued identification.
- If you are 16 years of age and have completed Grade 11 please submit an Official Transcript (or have your institution send one directly to us) as proof you have completed Grade 11.
- Once you are accepted, you will be forwarded a Student Contract via email.
- Return the signed Student Contract by email together with the course fee payment and postage payment. Once the contract and payment is received, your course materials and herb kit will be sent out to you.
- Shipping within Canada is free, $25 within US and Worldwide Airmail an additional $60
The online course will be delivered in English only and requires basic proficiency in the English language.
Credential provided upon completion
You will be mailed an official transcript and Certificate of Completion upon successful completion of the course.
This program does not require approval by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training. As such, PTIB did not review this program.