Accounting & Payroll
This program will prepare students for the workforce by equipping them with the skills necessary to administer payroll, and payroll software, and maintain manual or computerized accounting records. This program also prepares students to enter the workforce by providing them with the skills required to read and analyze journal entries and financial statements.
Throughout the program, you’ll delve into the core principles of accounting, learning the intricacies of financial transactions, recording, and reporting. Guided by experienced instructors, you’ll develop proficiency in using accounting software, analyzing financial statements, and ensuring accurate bookkeeping practices.
As the program progresses, you’ll specialize in payroll administration, becoming adept at handling complex payroll processes, tax regulations, and compliance requirements. With hands-on exercises and practical simulations, you’ll gain real-world experience in managing employee compensation, calculating deductions, and preparing accurate payroll records.
This program has been reviewed and approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills.
Is a Career in Accounting and Payroll Right for You?
This fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for.
* For full tuition breakdown please contact us
54-Week Accounting & Payroll Administration
40 hours Essential Skills
40 hours Introduction to Accounting
40 hours Effective Business Writing
60 hours Income Tax Fundamentals
80 hours Advanced Income Tax Returns
80 hours Bookkeeping and Accounting I
60 hours Bookkeeping and Accounting II
80 hours Payroll Fundamentals
60 hours Payroll Compliance and Law
80 hours Accounting on Software I
60 hours Accounting on Software II
40 hours Database Management
60 hours Business Finance
80 hours Human Resources
20 hours Career and Employment Skills
400 hours Cooperative Work Experience
* For full credit breakdown please contact us
1. What kind of career opportunities can I pursue after completing this program?
Graduates of the program can pursue various roles, including bookkeeper, payroll administrator, accounting assistant, or financial clerk. The skills you acquire will enable you to work in accounting departments of businesses, accounting firms, nonprofit organizations, and other industries.
2. Will I gain practical experience during the program?
Yes, the program includes practical exercises, simulations, and hands-on projects to ensure you develop real-world skills. You'll have the opportunity to work with accounting software, analyze financial data, and process payroll transactions.
3. What are the benefits of completing the Accounting and Payroll Administration program?
Completing the program will give you a comprehensive understanding of accounting and payroll processes, making you a valuable asset to businesses seeking accurate financial management. You'll also have a competitive edge in the job market with specialized skills in accounting software and payroll administration.
4. Can I continue my education after completing this program?
Absolutely, completing this program could serve as a stepping stone to further education, such as pursuing a degree in accounting or business administration. It can also be an excellent foundation for professional development and continuing education in the field.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Provide a basic understanding of the Canadian payroll and taxation system
- Operate the industry standard accounting software such as Sage and QuickBooks
- Calculate payroll and employee deductions
- Prepare and analyze corporate financial statements
- Practice office bookkeeping skills including preparing journals, general ledgers, and trial balances
- Understand written, verbal, and non-verbal business communications
- Calculate normal/regular payroll cycles
- Apply accounting procedures in real-life cases
- Operate payroll fundamentals and payroll-related legislation
- Apply payroll remittals and payroll accruals
- Design and analyze jobs to optimize organizational effectiveness
- Perform basic database administration tasks